Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Yin & Yang of It


Some days I feel like I need a better sense of humor. Who knew issues like homelessness and human trafficking would give me one. I mean these issues are unbelievably serious and if you can't find something to laugh at during the day while dealing with these things, you can get in trouble. I am one of those not very funny people who always forgets the punchline when telling a joke, but now I make sure to always have a couple one-liners that really rock my world. I am a seeker of funny. Since I do watch the news...I also must watch my fave comedy "The Office". Like EVERYTHING, it is all about balance. You cry, you laugh, you don't hit the tipping point this way. 

I have recently discovered a fantastic blog by Diana Scimone about the current state of human trafficking in the United States. The great thing about what she writes is that she offers ideas about how one person can make a difference. She brings you the cold hard horrible facts but balances it with some practical ways people are fighting back and how you can join in. Yes, these issues are despicable but don't ignore them with apathy, do a little something. Buy that birthday gift for your mom at The Emancipation Network's store that sells gorgeous, handcrafted products made by survivors of slavery with the proceeds going to provide help and hope to others rescued from human trafficking and sexual exploitation. Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking is hosting their first Gala Dinner fundraiser to honor 5 years of serving human trafficking victims on May 22 in Bonita Springs, Florida. Survivors of slavery will be honored for their success in their new lives as will exceptional, caring service providers. I encourage all non-profits to honor the successes in ways like this and remember all the positive work being accomplished every single day. 

No comments: