Monday, March 23, 2009

Gardens, Health, & Hunger. The Basics.


Food is big news. In the United States, whether its kids going hungry on weekends (illustrated by Community Cooperative Ministry's support of Backpack Food Programs), the high demand food pantries are observing for their services, or sustainable eating issues like recent campaigns to "Eat Fresh, Eat Local", food is the center of attention. Food has become complex. Sometimes going back to the basics is not such a bad idea. 

When I was a kid, we had a garden. We didn't spray it with chemicals to keep out the weeds, my brother and I got to pull the weeds out with our hands. We grew a variety of vegetables and ate them fresh over the summer and then canned or froze the excess for winter.  Probably due to all the pulling weeds out with my hands, I bought my food from a store when I became an adult. Although easier on the hands, I realized it was expensive and after having children of my own, realized more than ever how scary much of the food out there really is in terms of where it comes from and how it is grown.  Hence, my back to basics idea. Grow your own food. 

Not only families benefit from this idea, but some non-profit food pantries are realizing it is a great way to offer fresh fruit and vegetables to communities in need. It can be a source of food, learning, and volunteer opportunities for all. The Volunteer Way in New Port Richey, Fl uses a hydroponic garden to grow fresh vegetables to supplement their food bank. Organizations like
Sustainable Table offers an introduction into sustainability. There are also fantastic websites likeNoFearEntertaining offering healthy recipes for your new locally grown fruit and vegetable score. 

The number of ways gardening, sustainable living, and alleviating hunger can be partnered together are huge and exciting. Check out Oregon Food Bank's Learning Garden. Become empowered! Oh, and gardening gloves are recommended.

1 comment:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks so much for the link!!! I love your blog and what you are doing here. Keep getting that message out there!